This is a view from the site of the interior works at Fort Washington from the foot of the flag-staff, looking southwest.
In the foreground are seen the remains of the embankments.
The tall mast seen near the river below is the support for telegraph wires which cross the Hudson there, from the rocky point of Jeffery’s Hook.
In the distance across the river are the Palisades, and the mast upon their summit denotes the site of the redoubt north of Fort Lee.
This little sketch exhibits the relative position of Forts Washington and Lee.
From: PICTORIAL FIELD BOOK OF THE REVOLUTION. VOLUME II.BY BENSON J. LOSSING 1850.